May 19, 2021
There are more than 6 million skilled freelance workers in creative, technical and professional positions in the US, earning an estimated $234 billion in 2020, according to the “Freelance Economic Impact Report” by online talent platform Fiverr International Ltd. (NYSE: FVRR).
“2020 has been a challenging year but also one that propelled the digital workforce to heights we never could have imagined,” Fiverr CEO Micha Kaufman said. “For skilled freelancers, the pandemic exacerbated the difference between those that, up until now, had chosen to work offline, and those that had opened their eyes to online opportunities.”
New York City ranked as the top city for freelancer revenue in 2020 with Big Apple freelancers taking in $26.37 billion in revenue.
Here are the top 10 cities in terms of freelancer revenue in 2020 as cited by Fiverr:
- New York City, $26.37 billion
- Los Angeles, $20.17 billion
- Miami, $9.61 billion
- San Francisco, $8.31 billion
- Washington DC, $7.92 billion
- Chicago, $6.73 billion
- Dallas, $6.55 billion
- Houston, $6.21 billion
- Boston, $5.93 billion
- Philadelphia, $5.29 billion
Other findings in Fiverr’s report include:
- 63% of skilled independents believe their industry wasn’t impacted or there are more opportunities because of the pandemic. In addition, 75% are more hopeful than fearful about the future of skilled independent work.
- 59% say their revenue was the same or greater in 2020 than in 2019 before the pandemic, and 80% expect to make the same or more in 2021 compared to 2020.
- 41% of freelancers that use online platforms say their revenue has increased compared to before the pandemic, as opposed to 19% of non-users.
The report was done in partnership with Rockbridge Associates.